Monday, April 2, 2012

Triolet (Poem)


And here’s another prompt for you (I figure I’ll actually end up with 31 prompts, since I posted one yesterday. Oh well. There are worse things than extra prompts! I think I may have done this one last year, anyway!) Have you ever read a triolet? These are nice, short little poems with very predictable rhyme schemes and repeated lines. They’re easy to write, but not easy to write well — all those repetitions can sound rather clanging or maudlin, if you’re not careful. But this also makes the triolet a good choice for satirical poems. If you’re in an April Fools’ Day mood, you might want to take that tack.
Anyway, a triolet has eight lines. The first, fourth, and seventh lines are identical. The second and eighth lines are also identical. The rhyme scheme is ABaAabAB.

I bet you think this poem is about you, don't you?
You are in my dreams every once in a while, though.
The hourglass has emptied and our love is through.
I bet you think this poem is about you, don't you?
I do still think of you, though years have passed since my love was new.
I've had loves since you, though the moving on was slow.
I bet you think this poem is about you, don't you?
You are in my dreams every once in a while, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment