Wednesday, April 4, 2012

(Fiction) Third Planet in the Gothic Constellation of Thanatos Part 5


I look around at the pink walls of my bedroom. I forget where I’m at, but quickly remember. The room seems a little small for me, but it was probably made for a younger girl. Vanessa was dead, but now I am her. Does that make sense? Was that a dream or was that really her? Am I just trying to make sense of something that doesn’t make sense?        
        Dark colored stuffed animals decorate the shelves. One large one looks like a black dinosaur. There are some plastic animals too, smaller in size. There’s a plastic version of the black dinosaur, too.
            I hear a chime and my father comes into the room. “I took the liberty of preparing a dish you used to enjoy for your morning meal. I’m sure you will enjoy it as much as you always did.” He places the tray next to me on the bed. I lean up in bed and look at the food. It’s a piece of bread with a pink sauce on it. I pick up a knife and fork and cautiously take a bite.
            “Mmm,” I manage between chewing. The syrup and bread were both sweet.
            “Ah, good! I see your tasted have come back at least. Ha!” He seemed to be laughing at his own inside joke, and I wasn’t awake enough to think about what was so funny about what he said, or to even politely laugh with him.
            “Well,” he finally said, “I will leave you to your breakfast.” After he leaves, I finish the food pretty quickly, as I woke up being pretty hungry. I look around for clothes, but I don’t see any dressers. Then I notice the wall to the closet and open it. The only clothes I can find that fit me are one-size-fits-all medical gowns. I still don’t feel right in this body. I put one of the gowns on and start to look for my father.
            I’m back at the computer lessons after a while and it still seems like I’m reading children’s books, but I’m too confused by the stories to move to more advanced reading. I eventually decide to move on and just pick up words as I go. Then I realize why I’m so lost.
            One of the articles on the learning system is titled, “Harsh Living Conditions all over Eva Lead to Uprisings and Increased Crime.” I start to read it and realize I’m not just in a new body: I’m on a completely different world. It all starts to come into place. The language I could understand, but it had seemed a little odd, I didn’t recognize any constellations in the science section, and the weird stories made a little more sense now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment