Saturday, April 14, 2012

Past Serendipity (Poem)

I wonder where you are right now.
I was drawing a picture on a newspaper when I met you
You literally rode into my life
You asked me what time it was
But it wasn't the right time
Or you were late
But just on time for me.
You showed some of your art and asked me if I liked it
I would have lied and said I did
But I liked it anyway.
I wondered if you really drew the post card you gave me
But I've lost it since then.
You bought me dinner and laughed at me a little
Though I didn't mind as much because you had a right to laugh at me some.
I tried to impress you a little, but didn't do a very good job.
When you took off your cap, your hair was so beautiful.
You said you didn't want anyone to recognize you and I was intrigued,
Your face was gorgeous, too, of course.
You mentioned some other things too that I didn't like too much.
We talked about some things that people who were more than friends might talk about
Like kids' names and stuff like that
And I started to feel like I had known you for a lot longer than I had.
I've gone over this in my head so many times and I've even written about it before
But it never stops being special
Though I've likely built it up in my mind.
I don't know what I would say to you if I saw you again.
It doesn't seem sane to say you might have been the love of my life
'Cause we barely knew each other long
And it was years ago now
But I still think about you so there must have been something to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment