Sunday, April 22, 2012

Postcard (poem)

I wonder why after all this time
I still think of her though it's been too many years now
We really only met a time or two
And there was him to consider
His specter was there
I never met him really but he was there
And you were here.
You were on the phone with him
And I felt so wrong
We had talked
Your love was explained
Explained away or that's how it sounded to me.
A comfort quickly gained that felt so right.
I talked to myself even then,
"Don't fall too quick," I said,
"She probably buys all the men she just met today a hamburger dinner.
Don't look into her eyes and don't notice her smile;
Named after a singer (You'll forget in a while)"
She'd been wearing a cap and her face was hidden then.
"She's not so good looking and she looks rather plain."
I lied to myself and it was all just the same.
But then it happened: a moment not to forget.
You took down your hair and took off your cap.
Your wavy hair fell and I knew I was done.
Plain was a name that I could not call you
Boring was a description that a liar only would give you.
You offered me a postcard and gave it as a gift
You asked why I picked that one
And I said it would remind me of you.
I've lost that postcard or perhaps thrown it away
Trying to forget, it had too much to say
I was undone by the twirl or your hair
My fate was sealed then and there wasn't much to do
I called you beautiful to your face as a matter of fact
Would you even remember me now?
Or are you even still around?
All the others after you are just an attempt by me to rebound
To try to forget about you
And your lovely face too.
It starts to work
I've almost forgotten your face now
And I don't know what I'd do if we were face to face again.
I wouldn't know what to say or where to begin.
So I'll just continue to try to forget you
Though I fear there's little hope for that
If only I had kept that postcard
And you hadn't took off your hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment