Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fade Away, My Fear (Poem)

Sadness came to me like an old comfortable friend.
This feeling enveloped me, but I wanted it to end.
I shed it faster now though because I understand its pull.
Twin emotions of love and fear did have a grueling duel.
I looked around and saw happiness in the faces of strangers and friends
But I just felt a little numb and wondered why I wasn't like them.
I feel happy now, but the feeling had crept in again...

I was short with you then though I think you knew why
It was all about this or that and I didn't want to talk about it or even try
But eventually I told you and released it with a sigh.
Happiness fits better and flows over me like a warm blanket of sunshine
Several years ago I wouldn't have thought this life could be mine
But now I'm happy being me and though I do still get sad
I know it will go away and that it's all not so bad.
Peace has found me, though for long it alluded my grasp
I had to learn to stop chasing my tail and to stop being such an ass.
I had to learn to relax and find a bit of Heaven on Earth
I had to learn to love for real and give fear a wide birth.
I'm not afraid to love now; I'm not afraid of pain.
I'm more afraid of not trying now than of being hurt again.



No comments:

Post a Comment