Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Stuck on You Blues (Poem)


Today’s prompt is another musical one . . . [which] will revolve around writing a poem based on a musical form. (Hat tip to P. Agarwal!) . . . I suggest you write a blues.
The traditional blues song is the 12-bar blues, in which all the lyrics basically boil down to any number of three line stanzas in which two lines are more or less repeated, followed by a third line.

Note from me: I've turned what would have been a line into two lines, similar to what blues poets have done in the past.

In the dictionary next to the word beautiful
I'm sure there's a picture of you,
In the dictionary next to the word beautiful
I'm sure they found a picture of you
'Cause it seems like you're the perfect example
of what beautiful's meant to be.

And if you looked in that big book of words
Trying to find a picture of something that's sad
If you looked in that same old big book of words
Trying to find an example of something sad
Well, you might find a picture of me
Still thinking about you and all we could have had.

Well, I know it's been a long time
And I should have forgotten you by now.
Well, I sure know that it's been a long time
And I should have forgotten your face by now
But it's a lot harder to do
When I think you may still love me too.

I got to get myself together
Try to move on with my life
I need to get myself together
Try to move on with this life
But it's not the easiest thing I've ever done
Cause I think you might have been the one.

Now I know I'm being crazy
Saying there's no one else for me
I just know that I'm being crazy
Saying there'll never be anyone else for me
But though you make me feel like I'm losing my brain
I still know you're still the one that makes me sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment