Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Love Deferred (Poem)

I think of you today, but I haven't seen you since then
The day you broke my heart and let someone else in.
Maybe it wasn't meant to be with us
And I know there's someone better for me
But I still think of you and the way you make me smile.

I still think of you and the connection that we had
I tell myself you're not for me
But why else did you cross my path?
To teach me that I'm meant to love, I think
And that it's possible for me to be loved too.

I won't forget you very easily it seems
Though we are meant to be apart.
I think of you and smile again,
Because I let you in my heart.
I think of you and try to be glad that someone else has found you now.

Apart from each other, though I may see you again
You'll be with him still, and though I'm glad
I still wish it was me, but I'm not too sad
This was written before we met
But I would rewrite it if I had God's pen.

Is our future written in stone?
Do you pine for things to be different just like me?
Do you wish the hands of time could make us different and cross our paths again
At a different time when you could let me in?
I hold to the hope that this is true.

Rewrite the story, I think I will: we meet again, and everything's cool.
We meet for the first time and it's all the same
We are together now and none of the obstacles that wouldn't let it happen are justified
None of the reasons why not matter at all.
Our stars are aligned and we are quite requited as lovers should be
You are my sun and all I can see.

Maybe I'll wake up and this will all be true
I'll keep hoping for time to reverse the fate we see
Until then I am stuck writing my verse to make it all make sense
Trying to change things and make them right for me
Trying to adjust and remember you best
As the one that let me know that anything is possible still, even love it seems.


No comments:

Post a Comment