Saturday, April 7, 2012

All of the You's (Poem)

Don't go for second best, baby
I don't think that I will.
I've been waiting a long time for you it seems
But you might not exist.

I thought that I had met you a few times
But you were just a ephemeral dream that faded away in a summer whisper.
I thought it was going to happen with you on that long road
But you just rode your bike into the distance and back to him.

You made me feel the heat it's true
Yes, you really did.
I wanted it to be you so bad it was hurting me
But our ideas of what would work seemed to be as different as night and day
Or as separate as January and December are from each other.

I know it will take someone unique
To put up with the problem that is me.
Her patience may have to exceed my own to deal with me on a daily basis
We may have to figure me out together
And it may not be an equation that's solved overnight.

I will have to figure how to find you
Though I've been around the world and I can't find my baby
Did I already meet you maybe and ignore you?
Did I overlook you thinking it could never work?
Did I tell myself it could never work and make it happen like that?

When I asked you if it would be always be like this
And you looked me in the eyes and said it would pass in time
And let me kiss you to make it fade away a little
I really believed it would get better
And miraculously it really did.

When I touched you for the first time
And I was shaking like a leaf in a blustering storm
And you didn't laugh
I think I loved you then
It didn't work with you either, but it felt right at the time.

When you told me you wished it was me and not him
I wanted to believe you
But really I just cried
'Cause you knew how I felt
And you did it anyway
And I had to watch you with him, kissing and all that
Like I wanted to with you.

And then there were the you's that I introduced someone to
"You guys would be great together," I might have said
When really I realized I wanted it to be you and me
But I wasn't brave enough to say
And by the time I realized it, it was too late.

All the times I realized it wasn't you
All the times I had to move on.
I feel like I'm going have to write a novel to get over it
Get over not finding you
Get over missing you
Get over hurting you
Get over you hurting me
And solve the little problem of me and you.


No comments:

Post a Comment