Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Technology Fix

I’m learning more all the time about online communications. Sometimes I feel I write as if I’m a visitor from the past and just learning about these new computers.
Something I’ve considered today, something I probably should have thought of before today, is appropriate conversations to have online. I don’t mean just not inappropriate things to say, but conversations you shouldn’t have online, but in person. If I’m talking out issues and questions concerning a relationship, maybe I should wait to raise some of those issues in person. Not the issue I was imagining, but I’m reminded of the episode of Sex and the City in which a character breaks up with Carrie Bradshaw via a post it note. Maybe there are conversations you should have in person, whether it be for embarrassment or just because it’s a more personal conversation.
For all my talk of being an internet noob, I can handle myself online a bit. I think maybe I just like to be mindful of the entire process. I do like privacy, but I don’t mind saying some things that I’m into: H.P. Lovecraft, NBA basketball, comic books.
I use the internet to enjoy these things.
Buy Lovecraft books on Amazon. Watch NBA streams online. Download comic books off torrent sites or read from online subscriptions.
Activity journal quick hits:
Started reading Lovecraft’s letters to Robert Barlow. Sad preface to the book. Barlow wasn’t able to see Lovecraft on his deathbed before he died and Barlow may have killed himself over the threatened revelation of his homosexuality. Lovecraft corresponded with Barlow when he was as young as 13, though Lovecraft was unaware of his age until they had been corresponding for three or four years.
The Golden State Warriors have a very good basketball team this season. Steph Curry is an incredible player and he may end up being an all-time great player. He is fun to watch. Watching a live online feed of the Warriors game. Jazz and Warriors tied. Jerry Sloan, longtime coach of the Utah Jazz, will be honored at half time. He holds the record for most wins with one franchise and for technical fouls.
Rereading the Fantastic Four comic book series. (Reading for the first time for some stories). The cbr files read better on my phone than the Marvel Comics Unlimited app. I read the cbr files on the comic book reader app Komik, and I can’t speak highly enough of the Komik app. Convenient to be able to read comics on my phone. I used cbr files when I did research for my undergraduate degree in English. One of the funnest papers I wrote was a paper for a Queer Theory class on sexuality themes in Grant Morrison’s New X-Men. ‘Impotent Supergods’ was the title, I think.
I’m able to enjoy these things through the internet, and I think I enjoy them as much or more with others. I like sharing my interests with others, and it can be gratifying to share yourself with other people.
Another part of myself I’ve shared lately is what I affectionately call my book addiction. That may be a post for another time, but maybe I should start reading more of them right now.
Another aspect of my online life I am thinking of is my ability to fix my computers. I am no computers technician, but I know how to use Google. I’ve solved many a problem (with admitted assists from actual computer tech friends). I still don’t know how to talk about computers sometimes, and maybe I can’t keep up with computer techs, but I like to have these conversations about mediated communications online and our interfaced lives with computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment