Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Even Gradual Change is Good, if Not Deceptive

Reposting some stuff from Tumblr. I'm not sure of the dates, but I'm putting them here and deleting them from there. 

Got some stuff done today. Besides the daily goofing around on Facebook that seems to have become a way of life (and a lot of that was constructive today at least, as it was talking about poetry with like minded individuals), I got the house cleaned up a little. It’s not my house (my father’s), but I’ve come to peace with that for now. Can’t change things overnight, after all.
A few years ago, I was at an age that I was ashamed to be that I was at and not have a college degree and still be living at home (minus a brief nearly year long stint of living with my brother), and I decided to change it. Good decision, but still not easy realizing that change doesn’t happen over night. Sometimes a change doesn’t have any obvious advantages, so it can be discouraging when things seem to remain the same. But incremental changes are important nonetheless.
I even went back to the last job I had before I went back to school, but at least I had a job barely 2 weeks out of college (not a very good paying job, mind you). The job is easy, though, and I do get vacation time.
What became even more frustrating was that after a few months of working my checks started to be garnished. Not child support or anything like unpaid parking tickets, but a judgment made against me when I first stopped working and I couldn’t pay off a credit card I had. For the next several months (ends in about April), I will be making minimum wage at 60 hours every 2 weeks, despite working 80 hours or more most pay periods. (Goodwill doesn’t pay me much more than minimum wage, but losing the hours stinks).
But I will simply continue to exercise patience. I have small luxuries that I give myself (usually end up saving for Dragon Con every year). I’ve started to pay off my student loans. And I have some quality friends that I choose to spend time with (in various and alternating capacities). 
I have some thoughts about online interactions, but I think I’ll save it for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment