Tuesday, March 4, 2014

IT Sympathy and More Random Thoughts

I think maybe I’m done being productive today. Not that I was very productive to begin with. I did read a bit for the book club that I joined, that is if I can find a way there, and if I get it off work. I asked for it off, but generally we’re only granted 3 off days a week (if we’re lucky) and I had already asked for one, so who knows? I’d be nice is all I’m saying, but I guess I shouldn’t hold my breath.
Back to today. Waited for the internet guys to get here today. Supposed to be between one and three; they came a little after 2. Guy asks me if it’s okay to drill a hole in the wall. I don’t really know what to say: it’s not my house. I asked my dad and felt kinda stupid for asking, but I didn’t think I should just say sure, even though I was *pretty* sure he was going to say it was cool, which it was. Then the guy asked me if my computer was wireless and I didn’t really know how to answer that. I mean it can be. I asked him what he meant and though I was sure I could have figured out, I thought I should go ahead and let him set it up since he was getting paid for it and everything. It took him a second and he eventually did set it up, but I spared him from having to set up the other 10 devices this household wanted to set up (only slightly exaggerating). I thought I’d let the guy slide with setting up one, since he was pretty nice and it wouldn’t take me much longer than him to do it. (When it took me longer than a minute to set up his laptop, my dad wanted to run the guy down. I all but told him, ‘I got this!,’ and after taking the device upstairs so he wasn’t literally breathing on my neck to set it up, I had him ready to go in less than 5 minutes.) Patience is a virtue, but I can see what Information Technology guys and gals probably go through, even though my skills are limited.
Later I collected on a Christmas present (guy who rents a room here gave me an IOU for a Subway sub) and watched an Arnold Swarzenegger film with my father. Not bad. The one with Sif from Thor and Johnny Knoxville. At one point, after questioning the logistics of a scene for I suppose one too many times, my father answered with, ‘Because it’s a movie.’ Oh Kay.
On my third book this year still. I put down Ender in Exile just in case I can make it to Book Thief book club meeting. So if I finish those this month I’ll still be on a good pace. I told myself last year that I wouldn’t be overly concerned with reading pace or number of books read, but I’m having fun keeping track of it.
Also, I had a shopping lapse. Spent 9 bucks on Kindle this weekend (not that bad) and 90 at Barnes & Noble (a little worse), though 25 was toward a membership (made sense with how much I was getting). I still have a bit saved and a plan to save more, though sometimes I’m not sure what I’m saving towards, though I have a general idea. Independence? Financial security? Dragon Con? Still need to get that credit card paid off, student loans, and medical bill from hurting my shoulder. It’ll happen, but I’m beating myself up for spending too much. Can’t be helped now. At least I’m working and I have vacation soon. I don’t think I’ll go anywhere or do much. Just sequester myself in my room and read all these books. Not to say I won’t go out with friends maybe.
Still more on online communication to come. Just putting it off more.

No comments:

Post a Comment