Saturday, January 21, 2012

Platonic Valentine (poem)

A lot of things went right with you

The things that didn't were all me.

That's what I want to tell you

That it's all me. It's not your fault.

You were so kind to me

When you could have laughed

You listened to me, even when I didn't make sense.

You listened to me after, when it wasn't you and me.

I didn't realize how good a person you were, until it wasn't you and me.

I may think I'm smart, but you knew how smart I wasn't.

At least in the ways that you were;

Your world view and acceptance of the complex problem that is me never ceased to amaze me.

I saw you get hurt after me, but I knew I had never hurt you like that and that I never could.

I thought I was so smart and that I could explain everything to you;

I thought the world was full of logical problems that could be solved.

How little I knew and how much I've learned.

I still see things you would have liked and almost buy them for you,

but then remember we're not together anymore.

Make no mistake, I do not pine for you

I know it worked out for the better, the best even

I know you are happy and this makes me so too

The incredible occurrence of meeting you was not the innocent coincidence it seemed at first.

This is my platonic valentine to the miracle of your friendship and a heartfelt dedication to your kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment