Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Myself Revisited (Poem)


Inspired by and while listening to Heart's "Alone."

I hear the ticking of the clock
I’m writing a poem for you in the dark
I wonder what you’re thinking about tonight
Don’t want to text you on the telephone.

And my life’s going by so slow
I hope it doesn’t end before I know myself.

‘Til now, I always got by being detached from myself.
I never really thought until I met you.
And now it chills me to the bone.
How do I reconcile my abstract concept of you with the reality?

You don’t know how long I have wished
That someone would think I was a decent and cool person (And then you did).
You don’t know how long I have waited

For someone who would listen to my song (It was probably an Elvis song).
But the secret is still my own (I don’t know what I’m doing.)
And my concept of you is still off the mark.
‘Til now I always got by thinking about myself as unworthy
I never really thought until you made me.
And now it chills me to the bone.
How do my thoughts of you reconvene into a semblance of realistic peace I once held for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment