Thursday, June 28, 2012

Optimism Renewal

I had a renewing experience today. I was having some issues in my life (the details aren't important) and I found myself complaining about the state of life in general. I felt like I couldn't be alone with my thoughts and there was no where for me to go to be in a quite place.

I was trying to read a book and I decided to go outside. I was trying to finish a book in a day, something I had done before, but I had been struggling with reading quickly lately. I'm generally a fairly fast reader, but I felt like I had been in a funk and things weren't going right lately. Some things were going right, but I felt a kind of two-steps-back syndrome of progress about the things that were going right. Sometimes realizing you are going about something wrong can be a momentarily debilitating experience.

Well, I'm reading the book, and feeling generally upset about finding a quiet place to read, and feeling generally unhappy, when I came upon a quote by Abraham Lincoln in the book I was reading. "Most people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be." I just had to smile and look at the quote. It was exactly what I needed to hear and read.

I kept reading and continued to read until the sun was going down and until I couldn't see anymore. I kept reading and thought of all the things that were right in my life, as well as the obstacles that other people faced in their life, stories that I was provided by the very book I was trying to finish. I have heard and even experienced finding exactly what you needed, but this was a cool aspect of synchronicity. It just fell into place exactly as I needed it to.

I did finish the book within 24 hours (actually I finished within 8 hours, including taking a nap even) and it was just the book I needed, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment