Saturday, March 31, 2012

Simulated Green Glory (Blog)

I've had some good times with my Playstation 2, but it's probably about time to retire the one I have now. I've gone through most of 4 seasons on the basketball simulation of 2k10, with the Celtics winning all four times. I was controlling the Celtics, so maybe the game was too easy, but I think it could have happened the way it went down in the simulation.

Here's the justification broken down. 2009-2010: The first year had the match-up that was in the Finals anyway: Celtics/Lakers, with me beating the Lakers in 6 games. Lakers beat them in 7 in real life, so that one seems plausible. I had home court, too. I made a few moves, but the core team was intact.

2010-2011: Repeat of the last Finals, with Celtics beating the Lakers, this time in 7. Also had home court this time, so game 7 was in Boston. Again, this doesn't seem that improbable, especially considering that the big free agent period of this summer didn't go down in this simulation like it did in real life. Lebron stayed in Cleveland, Bosh stayed in Toronto (that seems unlikely, but let's go with it), and Wade left Miami and went to...Sacramento. Yeah, I don't think that could have ever happened either, but he did get a lot of money. Into his third season there, he hasn't made the playoffs. My team this year had a Troy Murphy (who I acquired in this season before they even considered it in real life) who was playing at center and performing like he did in his Indiana days. I also had Matt Bonner coming off the bench, so along with Garnett, I had a really good shooting big man team.

2011-2012: This Finals had the first sweep, with the Celtics beating the Thunder in 4 games. Again, the opponent seems likely, considering how good the Thunder are now, but not the result, right? Consider this: Kevin Durant was hurt a few rounds previous (torn acl) and they still got to the Finals. They couldn't beat me, but Russell Westbrook was phenomenal in the series.

2012-2013: Finals was Celtics over Portland in 6 games. This scenario for Portland was largely dependent on Brandon Roy not retiring and becoming a dominant player. Also, Aldridge was really good for them too, but Roy got hurt in game 5, which was a big game in the series. Pierce had been hurt until game 5 (playing games 1-4, but no where near healthy), and he played really well in game 5. Portland was up on me 2-1, but I didn't lose after the third game. Also, I had Tim Duncan for a center this year. He was a free agent and came to Boston for the veteran minimum essentially. Duncan, Garnett, Pierce, Ray Allen, and Rondo was the line-up.

Actually, by the Finals this year, Shannon Brown that I had traded someone for, had supplanted Allen as the starter, but Allen was the sixth man. Also, I still had Murphy coming off the bench on this team, and Luc Richard Mbah Boute and he would spell minutes for Pierce and Allen and Garnett all season. This would be an older team, but I think that this maybe could have happened. The only credible threat I had consistently out of the East were the Magic and the Hawks sometimes. Lebron in Cleveland kept losing in the first round, almost every year.

Another interesting footnote from this simulation: Kobe Bryant left Los Angeles after the second Finals loss to me and went to...the Minnesota Timberwolves. This doesn't seem that odd, I suppose, since the coach of the team at the time would have been Kurt Rambis, an ex-coach of Kobe's, and Phil Jackson had retired after he lost to the Celtics twice. He did really well with the Timberwolves, actually. They kept Al Jefferson, had Kevin Love still, and added a few more quality players, and had first seed in the West in 2011-12, but lost in the first round by a large upset to the New Orleans Hornets, who still had Chris Paul. He only got as far as the Western Conference Finals in 2012-13. I was pulling for the Timberwolves/Celtics Finals, but it didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment